Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2017, 10:57   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I suspect the -9 reading is due to the temperature sesor being plugged in with the battery still connected. Reconnecting the battery after making the bumper connections should sort out the reading issue.

The rest has already been covered in the above posts.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 11:19   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I've had 2 fail on the 75 now and 1 failed on my ZT. they lasted about a year or so before they failed each time. It's getting a bit annoying. Each time it happened I've found a wire no longer connected on one side of the resistor and burn marks on the resistor where it's blown on one side.

Fans have always been working fine.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 11:58   #13
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It suggests to me that the failure is associated with the recent work around the front end of the car. I think six weeks of normal operation would indicate the fan system was OK before the bumper stripdown. Anything that impares fan rotation will short out the circuit, so there's a strong possibility that the blades were not as clear/free as they might have been.

I wonder why the 80amp fusible link in the under bonnect fuse box didn't blow first? Isn't it supposed to prevent this? I've suggested before that this fuse is too big. To support the argument, I've replaced mine with a smaller fuse. My fan is now running perfectly well with a 40amp link despite 'calculations' suggesting the startup current needs the 80amp fuse. I'd suggest the fan wiring will ignite before an 80amp fuse gives in. To me, the size of the wiring looks more like 35-40amp.

TC
I will certainly try this when I fit the replacement next week.

Quote:
From the three or four events I've read about on the forum, they were bought from both forum traders and from ebay. I recall Jules reporting a 2-3 per thousand failure rate. Any resistors imported from China are obviously not recommended.

TC
There are 8 reports on this thread alone, but how many are running out there with the coil hanging out anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Are the GOLD RESISTORS that are failing been supplied via traders on the Forum or were they "ebay" specials ?
In my case it is one of each, seems one or two on this thread are the same. I would not touch the EBay ones regardless.. Assuming that the traders are not reselling fleaBay ones that is.

I do have a suspicion that my fan was running continually for a few days(on econ mode). Put it on the Test-book and it ran fine during and after the test. May have just been a stuck relay?
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 14:55   #14
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Latest Update:-

I just went out and pulled off the front bumper. Yes, the fan was very free, A closer look at the resistor mmmmmm it's blown a coil wire out of the bottom and has signs of massive heat at the bottom end.

I thought, mmmm let's turn on the ignition see what happens! Can't believe it! it's actually working as it should. Fan working at low speed, everything.

Turned off ignition and and put my fingers onto the resistor, cool! so the fan is actually keeping it very cool, as it should.

So what caused it to overheat? must have been lack of fan cooling. I have eventually put it down to my own fault. I notice that the bottom of the fan runs very close to the plastic undertray panels. I believe that starting it up to check the lights without fastening the bumper on fully was my error! If the undertray was pushed up even very slightly it would stop the fan from working and would allow the massive heat build up in the resistor.

I have however, learned from the experience, Whenever I remove the front bumper. 1. don't turn on the ignition or start the engine without poking a thin stick through the grill to make sure the fan spins freely. 2. Get my wife to turn on the ignition while I look through the grill with a torch to MAKE SURE that fan is spinning. 3. Change the fuse to 40 amp, because a fuse that allows your car to nearly set on fire and not blow may as well not be there.

The resistor in my car, was not from ebay but I would suspect they are all from the same place.

Spyder:- that's scary!!!!!
T-Cut:- You were spot on!!!

Last edited by Mike Trident; 1st May 2017 at 15:06..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 15:19   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have however, learned from the experience - - -

3. Change the fuse to 40 amp, because a fuse that allows your car to nearly set on fire and not blow may as well not be there.
Thanks for your update.
These resistors fail, for whatever reason, now and then but the possibility that it could start a fire is clearly unacceptable and why I've previously suggested swapping out the 80amp fuse for a 40amp one. My fan has operated normally with a 40amp fuse for well over a year, so I'm reasonably convinced that the original fuse is unnecessarly big. The choice of 40amp was more or less a guess on my part. I've read most of the threads discussing the mathematics of the system and 40amps seemed a good starting point to me. I may test out even lower rated fuses until I find the minimum consistant with reliable fan operation. I'd much rather have the fan fail from a blown fuse than from a fried harness. I'd suggest everyone with a resistor type radiator fan might think about doing the same.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 15:48   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I replaced the original from new and open circuit resistor on my car when I bought it 5 years ago, with a gold 100w sourced from ebay, supposedly from a well known manufacturer. No issues at all.

I suspect the issue causing some to fail, is not them burning out or over heating, rather that they are not well enough sealed against moisture ingress. They were never designed to be installed out in the weather [1]. Moisture gets past the seal, inside the resistors rapidly get very hot, likewise - rapidly turning the the moisture to steam and blowing the seals out.

I used to use loads of these gold high wattage resistors, in large expensive control panels. The panels were installed in generally cold, high humidity environments (water treatment and pumping stations). Mounted inside the panels they provided a continuous source of warmth, to keep them dry and free from condensation. I never heard of a single one exploding.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 16:11   #17
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I suspect the issue causing some to fail, is not them burning out or over heating, rather that they are not well enough sealed against moisture ingress.
It's no doubt a possibility, particularly if a detergent is present in the water to reduce its surface tension. Someone reported failure after washing the car, which illustrates the idea. I can't see rainwater penetrating inside one myself. But since there's no simple way of preventing such ingress, it has to be accepted as something that happens now and then. Jules' figure of 3 in 1000 units failing is presumably a measure of the risk involved. I reckon that's not worth legislating against. But it's worth minimising the consequences if it happens by protecting the wiring. Hence my use of a 40amp fuse.

TC
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:07   #18
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I too had one fail last year. Had been on the car for about 2 - 3 years. one end had blown out. mine came from a trader here as did the replacement. could water have gotten into the resistor?

macafee2
I think it's almost a certainty.

Quote:
It's no doubt a possibility, particularly if a detergent is present in the water to reduce its surface tension. Someone reported failure after washing the car, which illustrates the idea. I can't see rainwater penetrating inside one myself. But since there's no simple way of preventing such ingress, it has to be accepted as something that happens now and then. Jules' figure of 3 in 1000 units failing is presumably a measure of the risk involved. I reckon that's not worth legislating against. But it's worth minimising the consequences if it happens by protecting the wiring. Hence my use of a 40amp fuse.

TC
None of these resistors is rated with a high enough IP rating for putting in the location that it is - where it catches all the water, without taking extra precautions to seal it up there's always a risk of rainwater getting in and causing explosive failure. Btw choose a nice hot dry day to seal it - don't do it on a cold damp day!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:34   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
None of these resistors is rated with a high enough IP rating for putting in the location that it is
That's basically it.
The risk of doing so, from whatever cause, is around 0.3%. As noted, I don't think that's worth legislating against. The effort should be directed towards protecing the wiring and peripherals in the event it fails catastrophically.

What I don't understand is why moisture getting into the resistor should cause a current surge sufficient to fry the wiring and anything nearby. I'd expect it to pop and that's it.

TC
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:53   #20
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
That's basically it.
The risk of doing so, from whatever cause, is around 0.3%. As noted, I don't think that's worth legislating against. The effort should be directed towards protecing the wiring and peripherals in the event it fails catastrophically.

What I don't understand is why moisture getting into the resistor should cause a current surge sufficient to fry the wiring and anything nearby. I'd expect it to pop and that's it.

TC
Because the water will rapidly turn to steam and the fact that steam is not a good conductor means that the resistor will be out of full contact with its heat-sink.
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote