Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2017, 12:51   #21
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
I have to agree, I absolutely love the 260's, would love to own a supercharged example one day.. but on paper there's much better you can buy for less or similar money if you want a v8.

I absolutely see the appeal for a 260, but really you're paying thousands extra just for the engine and soundtrack that isn't actually that powerful for a 4.6l v8. They were well worth it when they were going for £4k-8k up until recently, but £10k+ is getting excessive when you think about what else you could get for that money.

These are some examples of similar types of car's of a similar age to ours with v8 engines you can buy, for less or similar money and similar or more power:

MG ZT 260 stats: 4.6 260bhp 0-60 6.2 seconds.

Maserati Quattroporte 4.2v8 395bhp 0-60 5.2 seconds £9,995
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ss177jw&page=1

I'm not keen on the leather colour in that one but I could certainly live with opening the drivers door on my car to see 'Maserati' written on the foot plate! I just couldn't ever get the same feeling about any car with 'Rover' written there no matter what engine is under the bonnet.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 17:08   #22
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I'm not keen on the leather colour in that one but I could certainly live with opening the drivers door on my car to see 'Maserati' written on the foot plate! I just couldn't ever get the same feeling about any car with 'Rover' written there no matter what engine is under the bonnet.
I quite like it, more of a sporty interior but my favorite is the beige interior with the wood wheel

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...at_cars&page=2

Can't believe how much you can pick one of these up for now. Have loved the Quattroporte since my school days.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 11:00   #23
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
I quite like it, more of a sporty interior but my favorite is the beige interior with the wood wheel

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...at_cars&page=2

Can't believe how much you can pick one of these up for now. Have loved the Quattroporte since my school days.
Now we are talking! - I was also rather surprised you can buy them for around £10K now, I suspect they aren't at all cheap to own but even so... £10K! (that isn't the sound of santa's sleigh bells you can hear by the way, it's me seeing how much is in my piggy bank )
Old 6th December 2017, 11:38   #24
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Now we are talking! - I was also rather surprised you can buy them for around £10K now, I suspect they aren't at all cheap to own but even so... £10K! (that isn't the sound of santa's sleigh bells you can hear by the way, it's me seeing how much is in my piggy bank )
No running costs would be on another level. To start with it has a ferrari engine so any engine parts would be stupidly expensive. But considering the base entry model was £80k when new, you can put all those savings towards running costs lol.
Old 6th December 2017, 15:55   #25
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

My mate had an S6 Audi for a while, he did get it at a good price because it had a couple of ''minor problems'' one being front disc and pads. £1200. Timing chain £5k and a couple of tyres £600. The most shocking was a breather hose for the inlet manifold was nearly £200, it was less than a foot long.

Once he had this done he drove it for a few months and his wife found out how much it was costing to run so he sold it, luckily he did not loose that much.

A local gearbox over hauler has an M3 in as the gearbox is not selecting the gears correctly, it is going to cost the owner £6k to fix apparently.

There is a reason this exotic stuff is the price it is. When the dealers are charging £150 an hour and the parts are going to cost a months or more wages be prepared to be frightened if it needs to go to the garage.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 17:56   #26
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Yes but now they are all 12+ years old and any 12+ year old car breaks rather often. I have other things to do with my life really than be fixing one all the time and mine is on borrowed time to be honest. Why would I spend thousands on a car that would be a CAT C if a front wing was pushed in?

You may not have better things to do (and I envy you should that be the case) but don't try and suggest that Rovers and ZT's are now a really reliable option for someone, yes they may get lucky but........

I would make an exception for something with an Italian V8 engine but I certainly wouldn't rely on it as my only car. I love cars rather than just MG's though so I suspect I won't have a clue.

Last edited by mystabe; 6th December 2017 at 21:42..
Old 6th December 2017, 18:14   #27
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Just because you own or drive a modern and or expensive car does not mean it will be 100% reliable. I know of numerous vehicles that fall into the expensive and or new category that have let there owners down.

I know of one £30k car that broke down on its way home from the dealers with 12 miles on the clock, after numerous visits to the dealer it was eventually replaced with another new one.

On the other extreme I know of a Ford with almost 200k on the clock, all it has had its life is a new clutch at 120k and regular servicing. The owner has kept a record of every penny he has spent on it since its purchase. The spare wheel has never even been out of the boot.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 18:34   #28
Rick-sta
This is my second home

it's like they say though, you only ever hear about it when things go wrong, there's plenty of people out there that have new cars with absolutely no problem with them at all.

My uncle runs a 11 plate Audi A7, has had it from 2 years old and has been very reliable with no faults. My cousin has a similar age audi A5 coupe, again no problems at all. Both with the diesel v6 engines. Quite a few relatives run new mercs and have found them to be reliable.

In regards to repair costs, well that all depends on where you take it to be fixed. Have seen many receipts from various owners who used their local garages or ex MG Rover dealer garages for repairs and have forked out bills in £1000's for repairs that we on here know cost way less.

We find these cars cheap to run because we know where to take the cars to be fixed at the best price, and we also have an idea of how much things should cost to be done on our cars, but for anyone else who owns a 75 or ZT but isn't on the owners clubs, they are still expensive cars to run.

Someone can pick up a 75 or ZT for £1k and then take it to their local garage to find out it the belts cost £1500-£1800, or the clutch costs £1200-1500, or a new inlet manifold costs £1000 etc. HGF and garages quote £1500+ for a head gasket repair.

Generally repairs on new cars are more expensive yes, but saying they'll all break down or are all unreliable is an exaggeration.
Old 6th December 2017, 21:37   #29
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Maybe, but it's a significantly more interesting topic because of it The OP doesn't like Pistonheads and they don't like him - we know, he tells us often enough.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:07   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I've just read the thread over at PH. Personally, I cannot see anything seriously wrong with it - a blend of comments which are not that dissimilar to those usually posted on this forum whenever we see a £6k+ 75 or ZT.

Actually, the comments in the PH thread are, on the whole, better than those usually posted on this forum in relation to say French cars.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote