Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2017, 22:35   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default fuel burning heater turning on when it shouldn't

Evening all,

My fuel burning heater has been acting a bit odd lately. I've noticed over the last few weeks that it keeps turning on when it shouldn't. Many times now it has turned on automatically when outside temperature is reading above 5oc, and I've also had it turn on many times whilst the engine temp is already up to running temp (over 80oc).

When it's running it seems to be running fine. although I'm not sure if it's running as effectively as before, as quite a few times when I've turned it on remotely in the morning the car hasn't been as warm as usual (I have the pre-heater set up with the interior heaters running). I'm not sure if this is just due to the extra cold weather we've had recently.

The fuel burning heater also seems to be louder than usual.

Any ideas? I had the pcb repaired just over a year ago.

Cheers,
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 23:06   #2
Lotaskin
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTI

Default Temp sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Evening all,

My fuel burning heater has been acting a bit odd lately. I've noticed over the last few weeks that it keeps turning on when it shouldn't. Many times now it has turned on automatically when outside temperature is reading above 5oc, and I've also had it turn on many times whilst the engine temp is already up to running temp (over 80oc).

When it's running it seems to be running fine. although I'm not sure if it's running as effectively as before, as quite a few times when I've turned it on remotely in the morning the car hasn't been as warm as usual (I have the pre-heater set up with the interior heaters running). I'm not sure if this is just due to the extra cold weather we've had recently.

The fuel burning heater also seems to be louder than usual.

Any ideas? I had the pcb repaired just over a year ago.

Cheers,
I think the first things I would look at is the temperature sensor and for any chafing to earth of the signal wire from your GSM switch to the FBH.
Lotaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 00:51   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 00:55   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotaskin View Post
I think the first things I would look at is the temperature sensor and for any chafing to earth of the signal wire from your GSM switch to the FBH.
K-line noise from the car can cause some erratic triggering of the fbh and many of us have cut the red/white wire in the 6 pin plug to prevent it. This causes no impact at all in the operation of the fbh other than that so quite safe to do. Just make sure to tape up the cut ends to keep them insulated.

However, the fbh turning on when coolant temperature appears to be high is not in itself un-usual. If the temperature switch behind the bumper has activated due to low outside air temp, then it turns the fbh on, and once it has had a full burn cycle and got the temperature of the water up to about 73 degrees, then it will keep cycling back on every time the coolant drops again, which in cold days can happen quite often as the engine doesnt generate so much heat to keep the coolant temperature so high especially when running a lot of very cold outside air over the radiator at speed in winter.

Check if your k wire is cut, and if not i would cut it, if already cut then i would imagine it is working as it should because it is cold outside.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 11:44   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
K-line noise from the car can cause some erratic triggering of the fbh and many of us have cut the red/white wire in the 6 pin plug to prevent it. This causes no impact at all in the operation of the fbh other than that so quite safe to do. Just make sure to tape up the cut ends to keep them insulated.

However, the fbh turning on when coolant temperature appears to be high is not in itself un-usual. If the temperature switch behind the bumper has activated due to low outside air temp, then it turns the fbh on, and once it has had a full burn cycle and got the temperature of the water up to about 73 degrees, then it will keep cycling back on every time the coolant drops again, which in cold days can happen quite often as the engine doesnt generate so much heat to keep the coolant temperature so high especially when running a lot of very cold outside air over the radiator at speed in winter.

Check if your k wire is cut, and if not i would cut it, if already cut then i would imagine it is working as it should because it is cold outside.
The K wire hasn't been cut on mine at the moment, but I think you're right about the fuel burning heater turning on when the temperature appears to be high. I have a working thermostat so the running tem is staying at around 82-84oc (on the digital temp gauge), however when in traffic it has been dropping in this cold weather and once went as low as 72oc. So this will probably explain why I keep hearing the fuel burning heater turn on.

However, yesterday I came across another problem. the fuel burning heater was running during my drive home, when I arrived and parked up on the driveway I noticed quite a fog/mist across the front of my car. Opened up the bonnet and the fuel burning heater was pushing a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. This was at 11pm at night so not sure what colour it was but when I shined the led light from my phone the smoke looked very clear with maybe a hint of blue to it.

it's never done this before until now. I've only had the fuel burning heater fitted for just over a year, and when fitted I took the whole thing apart to clean it out and also had the pcb board repaired.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 12:35   #6
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Rick,i think your burner works perfectly .
generally it's the contrary ;seeing that they are stuffed with Securities ,they refuse to start .

3 conditions to get a start :

-external temp less than 5 degrees +engine runnung+coolant temp lower
than 77 degrees .

Watch the coolant temp on the OBD in 7.0 for more accuracy

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 20:39   #7
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

white smoke can mean unburnt fuel, could be a glowplug issue

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 20:44   #8
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Nop ...service needed (check the air filter firstly)
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 20:53   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
I agree, due to lots of diesel mist/ unburnt fuel in the exhaust. You should be able to smell it too.

Service the combustion chamber again and more thoroughly.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 21:13   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I went out the other day when the temperature was only 2deg all day. The FBH was still on when I got back home after a 20 mile run. This is normal according to the manual. As said above, FBH cycles on and off. There is a 'running' cost of diesel while it is running on full burn, and when cycling on/off the diesel cost is much less until it shuts off.