Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > MG Rover Custom Car Parts (Rick-Sta's) Shop
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th November 2017, 16:15   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Rover 75 MG ZT Heated Windscreen Order List Dec 2017 - for Feb-March 2018 Delivery

Hi all,

I have finalised the quote for the next batch of brand new heated front windscreens for our cars. The first batch was completed earlier this year and prooved to be successful, and I have now organised a second batch.

This will be done slightly differently this time. Unfortunately manufacturer of the screens does not supply a wiring kit for the windscreens, which mean't that those who had purchased a new windscreen in the first batch earlier this year had to source their own relays and wiring to power the heater elements in the windscreen. This is fine for those who have the technical "know know" to do this, but I understand not everyone knows what is required to wire the heated windscreens and how to do it.

Therefore, in this second batch I will personally be making up and providing wiring kits, which I will send out when the windscreens have been completed and dispatched, just to make things easier for everyone.

Below is a basic wiring diagram for the heated windscreens:

Now I've been doing a bit of research on the wiring side for these windscreens (hence why I've taken a little while to prepare this) and I've found that the heater elements for the front windscreens should only be powered for 2-4 mins at a time as they do draw a lot of power, which seems to be the way they are set up on OEM fitted heated windscreens on other car makes such as Fords. From reading through the thread for the first batch of heated windscreens, most fitted them by either wiring the trigger wire for the relay to the rear screen heater switch, or to a spare heated seat switch as both switches have built in timers. However, the rear heated screen switch has a 20min timer and the heated seat switches have (I believe) a 15min timer, both of which are too long.

Therefore, as part of the wiring kit I will be supplying a timed relay which will be pre-set to the recommended length of time by the manufacturer (I've asked what the recommended length of time is, just waiting on a response. I suspect it will be between 2-4 mins). The relay timing can be adjusted so if you wish to have the time set for a longer or shorter period you can adjust it. Also, the heater elements in the windscreen cover half the windscreen per side, and each side draws 18 amps, therefore each side will be controlled with a separate 30amp change over relay per side which will also be included in the kit. Therefore, the kit will include 3 relays in total, a timer relay and then two 30amp change over relays (one for each side of the screen). I plan to have all the relays set up inside a tidy junction box so you don't have a load of relays and wiring looking untidy. The junction box can be located behind the glove box via the fuse box access panel.

The power for the heated windscreen is to be taken from the battery, therefore 2 x inline fuse holders, ring connectors and all necessary wiring will be included and two 25amp fuses.

Therefore, the wiring kit will include the following:
- 2 x inline fuse holders with 25 amp fuses
- 2 x ring connectors for the battery terminal
- 1 x timer relay (30amp)
- 2 x change over relays (30amp)
- 1 x junction box for the relays
- all necessary wiring using 2.5mm automotive cable.
- wiring instructions

Set up options:
There are a few ways the heated windscreen could be wired in. The options I can think of are below:
1. Wire the trigger wire for the timed relay to the rear screen heater button on the AC panel. This will mean the front and rear heated screens will come on together (and the front screen will turn off at the set time on the timer relay)
2. Wire the trigger wire for the timed relay to the front screen demist button on the AC panel (for those who have climate control). This will mean the front heated windscreen will come on together with the front screen demister
3. wire the trigger wire for the timed relay to a separate heated seat switch so the heater elements can be switched on separately.

Points to note:
There are a few points below worth noting and making clear in advance:

- In order to keep the cost of the windscreens as low as possible, only 1 design is being produced, and that is the design which accommodates the sensor for the auto rain sensing wipers like in the picture below. This means that if you do not have the rain sensor on your current windscreen, when the new windscreen is fitted you'll have a larger black surround behind the rear view mirror than before. This does however give the option for you to retrofit the rain sensor for your wipers if you do not have it already.

- When the windscreens are produced, they do not come with a new rain sensor lens already attached to the new screen. I have asked if they could produce them with the sensor attached but they can't unfortunately. After going through the feedback from the first batch of windscreens earlier this year, it was mentioned that it provided difficult to remove the original sensor from the old windscreen without damaging it, and therefore it is advised to purchase a new rain sensor lens prior to having the windscreen fitted. They are available from here for £30: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-...UAAOSwR2RaDZNE

- The windscreen will be delivered to your address (there is also an option to collect from Tamworth). You will need to arrange the fitting of the new windscreen yourself with a windscreen fitter of your choice. I can't fit the windscreen for you unfortunately as I'm not a windscreen fitter. Feedback from the first batch was that fitting cost around £30-40 and took around 1.5 hours.

- The wiring will need to be done by either yourself or a auto electrician (a windscreen fitter will probably not do this bit for you). Although I will be supplying a wiring kit, there will still be some wiring connections you will need to connect yourself, such as wiring my kit to the connections on the heated windscreen. I will be offering a service to do the wiring side for you if you'd like to come down to Essex to have it done by me.

- As the heated windscreens are aftermarket, they most likely would not to be covered for replacement by your insurance if you ever had to claim for a new windscreen in the future (for example worse case if the windscreen cracked due to a bad stone chip). In this scenario I would think the insurer would replace with a standard OEM windscreen but worth checking with them before hand as you know how petty insurance companies can be. If you were to go by the book, the windscreen would need to be declared as it would be seen as a modification.

Price, Deposit deadline and expected delivery dates:

I have been negotiating a price for these windscreens and unfortunately since the first batch was produced early this year, production costs have gone up, and they are going up even further after the new year. However even though these windscreens will be produced early next year, they have agreed to freeze the price at a lower amount for this batch and not quote us on next year's prices.

Therefore, the final price including the heated windscreen and the wiring kit is £253 + £52.80 shipping (insured) to UK mainland (VAT inclusive), which is a very nice discounted batch order price, as the price for a single heated windscreen ordered just on it's own would be near £400 delivered with the wiring kit. They can also ship to outside of the UK mainland, if you are outside UK mainland such as Northern Ireland, Ireland, Channel Islands, Europe Etc then let me know and I can find out a shipping quote for you.

Now this price is only guaranteed if we can produce an order of a minimum of 20 windscreens. If the total number of orders are lower than this then the price per windscreen increases quite significantly. I've already had interest in over 30 windscreens so hopefully we should be able to reach this number quite easily.

Deposit and final payment:
I've been able to agree a payment plan of 50% deposit up front (excluding the shipping cost) and then 50% + shipping cost as the final payment once the screens have been produced and are ready for shipping. This is just to help spread out the cost over two payments, which I think everyone will appreciate with Christmas fast approaching.

Therefore, the payments are split out as below:

Deposit due by end of December: £126.50 (£253/2)
Final Payment due on completion of windscreens: £179.30 (£126.50 + £52.80 shipping if not collecting)

Dates:
In order to secure the price that we've been quoted, all deposits are required to be paid by the end of December, and production will be begin early next year. The windscreens are expected to be produced and ready by end of march/ April 2017. I need to give them a final quantity to produce by end of December.

There is a discount on shipping if 2 or 3 screens are to be shipped to the same address. Unfortunately it's the same price for 2 or 3 windscreens to be sent, so you can only really get the most out of it if 3 screens are shipped to the same address. The shipping for 2 or 3 screens to the same location is £102. So if sending 2 screens that's £51 per screen (a small discount), but if sending 3 screens it's £34 per windscreen. So if there's a few of you that are local to each other, it may be worth organising a single location to have the windscreens shipped to which you can all collect from in order to save on shipping costs.

What happens next:
Now in order to secure the price quote above, I need to ensure that we definitely have a minimum order of 20 windscreens. Therefore, just for now I won't be taking deposits just yet, but what I will need is a list of 20 windscreen orders which will definitely 100% be committed to by members. Once I have 20 names down (or less than 20 names if some wish to order more than 1 windscreen), I will be in a position to accept deposits. I don't want to start accepting deposits just yet in case we don't reach a minimum of 20 orders, as that will bump the prices up and will just make things messy and complicated. So those who would like to put their name down for a windscreen, please be 100% sure you would definitely like to order one as once I have the minimum of 20 orders, I will be asking for deposits

So below I will be making a list of those who are 100% committed to ordering a heated windscreen. The list below will just include members forum names on here, but I will also be adding up those on my facebook page who are committed.

List:
1. rick-sta x 1
2. handyjackdaniels x 1 DEPOSIT RECEIVED
3. charlie 22 x 1
4. Rugbyrhinoman x 1 DEPOSIT RECEIVED
5. Organiser x 1

Total number committed outside of this forum: 14

Many thanks,
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 23rd December 2017 at 10:59..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 17:51   #2
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Whos' been a busy boy!! Excellent job Rick.

Please put me down for one screen, as a definite order.

Many thanks.Steve.
Old 29th November 2017, 06:32   #3
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Please put me down for 1 screen, as a definite order.
Many thanks Chris.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:45   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Cheers both names added to the list
Old 29th November 2017, 16:38   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Well so far we have a total of 9 orders, 4 on here and 5 from facebook. 1 more and we're half way there to our target of 20 orders minimum
Old 29th November 2017, 17:15   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

for those interesting to see how well these screens work, here's a video demo video on youtube Not of a 75 or ZT unfortunately but of a MG TF fitted with a heated windscreen produced by the same company who would be making ours Goes from frosted to fully deiced in under 2 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS4qq4ry8kc
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:20   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Weekend bump I now have a total of 12 names down for the heated windscreens 8 more and we have the minimum quantity needed
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:56   #8
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Fingers crossed the other members interested go ahead, would be a real shame to miss out.

Steve.
Old 4th December 2017, 19:42   #9
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Default Windscreen order.

Hi Rick,

Please put me down for one windscreen but I will collect mine from Tamworth.

Regards,

Tom.
Old 5th December 2017, 14:11   #10
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organiser View Post
Hi Rick,

Please put me down for one windscreen but I will collect mine from Tamworth.

Regards,

Tom.
Cheers Tom added to the list