Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th February 2023, 11:24   #1
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Default Failed mot

Hi.
R75 failed it's test. I'm in ireland and it's called nct here.
Fails are called on the sheet:
Wishbones/wb bushes- offside and nearside rear most.
Steering track rod end. Nearside
Smoke 9.99l/m. The limit is 2.5l/m

Would that be just the bushes that need doing, not the full wishbone?
As for the smoke, engine has some smoke on full revs but runs well, oil recently changed. Mpg high 40s.
What you think is causing smoke?

This car is a good one so want to try and keep it on the road.
Thanks.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2023, 11:57   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I would personally change the wishbone arms complete if funds allow. Make sure you get good quality ones and not cheap ones off ebay as the cheap ones tend to fail quickly. DMGRS do good quality ones here: https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...cdc1afa7&_ss=r

In regards to smoke, assuming it's a diesel going by your profile, check for any splits in the intercooler top hose (the one that runs from the intercooler to the EGR. There are silicone replacements you can get now which are worth fitting as the factory one tends to go porous and leaks oil and also goes soft.

Also check the intercooler o rings (plenty of info on them on here). Clean out the EGR valve as it is most likely blocked up with carbon.

A more involved and messy task but cleaning out all the carbon build up in the inlet manifold makes a big difference.

Use some forte injector cleaner and give the car a good hard run redlining the revs.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2023, 17:23   #3
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I have changed many wishbone trailing arm bushes in the past, and all as been well for several years. My tourer not surprisingly as I knew there was a clunk, failed on a bottom ball joint and a Track Rod End, as the front steering and suspension has never been touched at 90k miles, I could not be having advisories or a fail on another part next year I decided to replace N/S & O/S wishbones, trailing arm bushes, TREs and drop links. Difference was night and day, so they all must have had some wear, but passable. As Rick said, if a ball joint fails, you will be paying to have the trailing arm bushes took off again. So if you plan to keep it, and can afford it, get both wishbones and trailing arm bushes done.
Also to add to what Rick said, the air filter has not been mentioned.
Do the PCV while you are at it.
Hard drive should include revs at 2000rpm+ for at least 20 mins, floor it often.

Does the engine rev freely above 2,500 - 3000rpm or to the redline, if not where to.

Last edited by Devilish; 20th February 2023 at 17:31..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2023, 17:59   #4
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
I have changed many wishbone trailing arm bushes in the past, and all as been well for several years. My tourer not surprisingly as I knew there was a clunk, failed on a bottom ball joint and a Track Rod End, as the front steering and suspension has never been touched at 90k miles, I could not be having advisories or a fail on another part next year I decided to replace N/S & O/S wishbones, trailing arm bushes, TREs and drop links. Difference was night and day, so they all must have had some wear, but passable. As Rick said, if a ball joint fails, you will be paying to have the trailing arm bushes took off again. So if you plan to keep it, and can afford it, get both wishbones and trailing arm bushes done.
Also to add to what Rick said, the air filter has not been mentioned.
Do the PCV while you are at it.
Hard drive should include revs at 2000rpm+ for at least 20 mins, floor it often.

Does the engine rev freely above 2,500 - 3000rpm or to the redline, if not where to.
The engine revs to redline. I am going to check the intercooler pipe and those o rings.
Also, are those 0 rings easily bought other than from dmgrs as i will get stung with customs charges. Are there BMW equivalents?

Last edited by peelaaa; 20th February 2023 at 18:29..
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2023, 07:50   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Wishbones/wb bushes- offside and nearside rear most ...
Would that be just the bushes that need doing, not the full wishbone?
Correct Ian. You'll read of forum members having to rotate aftermarket bushes with difficulty in order to align the mounting holes probably due to the rubber being fitted into the housing in a non-standard orientation as Arctic discovered. I bought my new bushes directly from X-Part and encountered none of these problems.

I also kept my original factory lower suspension arms (technically they're not wishbones although regularly referred to as such). They are not known to give trouble and are probably more accurately manufactured than anything available now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 21st February 2023 at 08:35.. Reason: Improved description.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2023, 13:31   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I have been harping on now for over 10years about doing a full service on our cars a week before your MOT is due.

New air filter, PCV filter, clean EGR, and manifold, clean the MAP sensor, new fuel filter, check the intercooler hose if swollen replace, viton intercooler o-rings new oil and oil filter.

Drop a bottle of this in twice a year into the fuel tank when filling up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222076086571

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote