Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th September 2020, 13:02   #11
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Don’t get me wrong on this subject and all are hopefully given a warm welcome and enjoy the scenery up here when you travel. However my feeling is that all the NC500 has done is create long tailbacks of cars on single track roads. It’s nice to bring some money to the communities , but at what cost? Spoiling the peace, tranquility and the real reason why tourists would come to the North isn’t it? It has had its day. The pressures this year have been even more pronounced given the staycations.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 19:42   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
As virus cases soar in england there may well be a travel ban on people visiting scotland from england. Just keep an eye on that.
Yes we're keeping an eye on that thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
A few suggestions although some may be outwith your route

Norton House, Edinburgh. Just outside Edinburgh but close to park n ride tram into the city
Ayrshire ( God's own country)
Enterkine house never stayed in it but many a gorgeous meal

Auchenrannie Isle of Arran although in November the ferry may be a tad choppy
Stone field Castle Tarbert in Argyll. Absolutely stunning.

MacDonald Hotel Aviemore a very large complex but a very nice hotel
Nice one thanks for the suggestions, will take a look into them
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 20:21   #13
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I completed the NC500 today and it has been absolutely amazing. I would recommend doing it anticlockwise as the scenery is so much more dramatic heading over to the west and on the west coast itself. We did it with 4 overnight stays (stayed in Inverness after completing the route) averaging approximately 130 miles each day. We did a few detours, including a circuit of Skye. If stopped at every photo opportunity we would on the route for at least a year.

There are a lots of single track roads, where you are in second and third gear a lot but every time you come around a bend there is a fantastic view awaiting you. The Applecross Pass is stunning. It was busy but I never felt I was being held up too much. The amount of camper vans on the road is unbelievable but going a bit slower allows you more to admire the scenery. We didn't notice any animosity from the locals, so long as you let those who look like they are working pass you and you will always get a wave. Be courteous and considerate and you can't go wrong.

Not sure about doing it in November though, some very high routes with some very steep roads, a bit of ice or snow on some of those roads would definitely lead to some squeeky bum moments.

My cdti cruised around the route and I arrived at each stopping point fresh and ready to go.

If you do decide to go for it book in advance as there were lots of places with no vacancy signs. The roads will be a bit quieter outwith the usual school breaks.
clarky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 20:43   #14
clarky81
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky81 View Post
I completed the NC500 today and it has been absolutely amazing. I would recommend doing it anticlockwise as the scenery is so much more dramatic heading over to the west and on the west coast itself. We did it with 4 overnight stays (stayed in Inverness after completing the route) averaging approximately 130 miles each day. We did a few detours, including a circuit of Skye. If stopped at every photo opportunity we would on the route for at least a year.

There are a lots of single track roads, where you are in second and third gear a lot but every time you come around a bend there is a fantastic view awaiting you. The Applecross Pass is stunning. It was busy but I never felt I was being held up too much. The amount of camper vans on the road is unbelievable but going a bit slower allows you more to admire the scenery. We didn't notice any animosity from the locals, so long as you let those who look like they are working pass you and you will always get a wave. Be courteous and considerate and you can't go wrong.

Not sure about doing it in November though, some very high routes with some very steep roads, a bit of ice or snow on some of those roads would definitely lead to some squeeky bum moments.

My cdti cruised around the route and I arrived at each stopping point fresh and ready to go.

If you do decide to go for it book in advance as there were lots of places with no vacancy signs. The roads will be a bit quieter outwith the usual school breaks.
I completed the Applecross Pass with both a huge smile and grimace at the same time.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
clarky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 17:07   #15
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Thanks all for the suggestions. Unfortunately with the way things are going we've decided to not go to Scotland. Think we'd enjoy it more anyway if we go during the summer months one year.

So back to the drawing board. Probably just have to book a lodge in a couple different locations to spend our two weeks away on a mini moon until we can book our proper honeymoon again.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 18:43   #16
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Probably good thinking Rick-sta.
We're in Stornowy, and by Late November the days are very short. By Christmas we have just 6 hours and 20 minutes of gloomy daylight.
The time to do the far North is May/early June or late August/early September.
July wet and full of midges.
We have some really great driving roads, but in November you'd be driving them in the dark. Hope to see you up this way sometime though.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 20:02   #17
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

A wise choice, fingers crossed for next year
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote