Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th June 2020, 20:50   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Just thoughts on an engine swap in ZT

Just a wild thought whilst chatting with my father in law this afternoon about cars like we always do. I've been thinking for a while now that I wish my typhoon ZT was a v6 rather than a diesel now that it's solely a show/nice day car. I really miss owning my 190 SE tourer. The diesel is great as a everyday car, but miss having a more fruity engine.

So we just got chatting on the idea of maybe one day changing the engine in the typhoon from a diesel to something else. Initially was thinking fitting a v6 190 engine. Has this ever been done before? I imagine it would be a matter of swapping the engine, gearbox, driveshafts, full car's wiring loom and ECU, instrument cluster and exhaust. possibly subframe? are they the same on the v6 and diesel or different?

or even wilder thought... swapping it out for a v8 and modifying the floor plan to accommodate RWD. Would be even bigger cost due to custom subframes, transmission, ECU etc. But been thinking maybe the 4.6v8 or 5.0v8 as used in the SV (as this has been done before by dreadnought and retro lifestyle). Or maybe even a more modern v8 like the 5.0 used in the newer mustangs??

I know the first option of swapping the diesel for a v6 190 engine would be costly and cheaper to just buy a v6, and yes the second option of fitting a v8 and converting to RWD would cost a bomb and require huge amounts of work... but thing is with my typhoon ZT I've piled way to much work and money into it over the years to ever sell it, so I'll always keep it. I'd love another v6 or a v8 one day but would mean running another car and we already have 4 between me and Deanna, 3 of which are MG's. So toying with the idea of putting the money into my ZT to give it an engine I want it to have.

So has anyone firstly done an engine swap before from a diesel to a v6? I'm sure I remember years ago reading about someone who had done it.

And if you could choose any engine to put in a ZT (realistically that would fit and work) what would you go for?

And lastly, how does an engine swap work when it comes to emissions tests? Once the engine change is declared, does that update the emissions level the engine should meet on a MOT test? and how does it affect tax as well?

How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 6th June 2020 at 20:58..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote